Monday, January 5, 2009

A Quick Amendment

A conversation with my mother today made me realize that I probably need to clarify something about my previous post.

I DO respect what The Phelps has done. I'm not saying that he has been able to breeze through life and then wake up one morning, decided he was going to win 8 gold medals and then voila! No, it took a great deal of sacrifice and early mornings in the pool to get him to where he is now, and I respect him for that.

More of the message I was trying to get across in the previous post is that I think he has a bit of a complex... almost "Holier-than-thou" like. There is an etiquette pertaining to athletes when dealing with the media. Anyone that watches a great deal of sports interview will know that. And I think that Phelps might be trying to work with this, might be trying to be an inspirational figure, but I still think he is smug. I've also heard from some people that went to USA swimming Olympic trials that he is a bit full of himself, so there! I swear I'm not falling victim the fundamental attribution error or confirmation bias or any of those other pretty terms we've learned in AP Psych this year!

Speaking of school, it starts back tomorrow. Sigh...

No comments: