Sunday, January 4, 2009

Phelps




So, in case you aren't swimming savvy (what a great word... savvy, hehe, two v's), that isn't really Milorad Čavić and Phelps didn't really give him the finger and what not. I decided to put a bit of humor in this post, because the rest of it contains very, very, very dark subject matter.

The Phelps.

I know that he has perhaps done a great thing for swimming. Putting our sport into the spotlight for once, and winning 8 gold medals, blah blah blah. That's all find and dandy. What isn't fine and dandy though, is the publicity nonsense that has come with it. The talk shows, the book... all of that. All of the things where he touts his hard work and effort; No, I'm not doubting that it took hard work and effort. I'm doubting the second part of his claim, that anyone (by anyone I mean the average Joe... or even the above average Joseph) could equal his feat if they put in the same hard work and effort he has.

I'm sorry Sir, but you need to stop lying to yourself. You are a FREAK OF NATURE. Not everyone has a 201 cm wingspan, or size 14 feet, or a freakishly long torso or any of the other ridiculous number of natural attributes in their favor. He is without a doubt the second... I'm giving first to Ms. Natalie Coughlin... most talented swimmer of our era- if not ever. He can't just gloss over that fact they way he is doing now, it isn't fair to the rest of us. There is no way I could equal what he does, with my 5'4" 135lb frame and duck feet, no matter how hard I worked.

He is also a cocky little jerk that needs to be brought down a few notches. I'm banking on people like Milorad Čavić and Cseh László to bring Mr. Phelps' head back down to size.

No comments: