Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Girl's State, day 2

Boring and not fun. I'm eating way too much. It isn't healthy.
I do enjoy some of the people here. My roommate and her friends are really cool, as are my school friends.

We broke into committees today to try and come up with some bill ideas... it was kind of a fiasco.

I tried for a while to get people to make bills that actually had substance. Topics included: lowering the drinking age, making the Gardasil (sp?) vaccination compulsory for middle school girls, limiting eminent domain and annexation, the creation of a school voucher program, banning the display of cigarettes in gas stations (which Canada did), and the legalization of civil unions/ gay marriage.

My thinking was that I need not necessarily support these bills, just come up with good and interesting things to debate. In fact, I didn't agree with half of what I proposed (the only things I agree with are lowering the drinking age, legalization of civil unions/ gay marriage and limiting eminent domain and annexation in case you were wondering... actually I'm not sure how I feel about school vouchers). NOT ONLY did I have to explain to EVERYONE what voucher programs and eminent domain were but they just... gah!!! It was like I was speaking a foreign language! So I ended up just giving up and doing some awesome doodles while my group members wrote bills allowing only cute boys to come into our state and requiring that all lifeguards be hot. I continued to doodle, occasionally stopping to help them express their middle school ideas in heightened vocabulary or just in general bill format. It was really depressing. At least I got some cool doodles out of it.

The whole program is majorly flawed though fundamentally which I will expand upon later.

Went swimming. That was good. Talked to someone on the Catabwa team... she loves it and I'm going to meet the coach Thursday.

No comments: